Best Solar Blanket for Australia 
As an avid outdoors enthusiast who cherishes the beauty of camping and touring, I understand the importance of having the right gear to make the most out of your adventures. Among the essential tools for any outdoor excursion, a solar blanket stands out as a versatile and eco-friendly option.
These innovative blankets not only provide warmth and comfort during chilly nights but also harness the power of the sun to recharge your devices and keep your essentials powered up.
However, with a plethora of options available on the market, it’s crucial to make an informed decision when selecting the ideal solar blanket for your needs. In this guide, I’ll break down the key factors to consider, helping you choose a solar blanket that perfectly complements your outdoor lifestyle.
Main things to Consider when choosing a solar blanket:
- Power Output and Efficiency
- Size and Portability
- Durability and Weather Resistance
- Charging Options and Compatibility
Ease of Use
- Warranty and Customer Support
- Price and Value
Based on our findings, we have selected 5 Solar Blankets that we find the best for the Australian caravan and camping enthusiast.
Our top 5 Solar Blanket for 2023
As of my last update in September 2023, the following five solar blankets were considered among the best options available in Australia:
- REDARC 112W Amorphous Solar Blanket: The REDARC 112W Amorphous Solar Blanket stands out for its robust build and versatility, making it an excellent choice for outdoor enthusiasts. Featuring amorphous solar cells, this blanket is designed to tolerate shading and low-light conditions effectively. With a power output of 112W, it’s capable of efficiently charging a range of devices. Its foldable design and included carry bag make transportation a breeze, while its variety of connectors ensure compatibility with different devices.
- Goal Zero Nomad 100 Solar Blanket: Renowned for its reliability and efficiency, the Goal Zero Nomad 100 Solar Blanket is a top-tier option for those seeking a dependable power source during outdoor adventures. Its 100W power capacity provides ample charging capability, and the lightweight, foldable design is complemented by a protective case that simplifies portability. Multiple USB and DC ports cater to a wide array of devices, making it an all-inclusive solution.
- KickAss 200W Portable Solar Blanket: The KickAss 200W Portable Solar Blanket is designed for adventurers requiring substantial power generation on the go. With its impressive 200W capacity, it’s ideal for charging multiple devices or energy-demanding equipment. The foldable construction and included carry bag enhance its portability, and its diverse range of USB and Anderson connectors ensure compatibility with a variety of devices, catering to the needs of even the most power-hungry expeditions.
- Baintech 180W Suntrack Solar Blanket: Balancing power output with portability, the Baintech 180W Suntrack Solar Blanket is a versatile choice for outdoor enthusiasts. Offering a power capacity of 180W, this blanket efficiently charges devices while maintaining a compact and foldable design. The rugged carry case further facilitates transportation, and its assortment of connectors ensures that your various devices can be charged hassle-free.
- Roman 120W Portable Solar Blanket: The Roman 120W Portable Solar Blanket strikes a balance between functionality and ease of use. Its straightforward design and reliable performance make it an excellent companion for outdoor adventures. With a power output of 120W, it delivers efficient charging capabilities. The lightweight and foldable design, complemented by a convenient carry bag, ensures effortless portability. Offering USB and DC outputs, this solar blanket caters to a range of device charging needs.
Remember, the best hydration pack for you will depend on your specific needs, activity type, and personal preferences. Always check the latest reviews and compare different models to find the one that fits your requirements best.
REDARC 112W Amorphous Solar Blanket
Goal Zero Nomad 100
Baintech 180W Suntrack
Table of Contents
Best Solar Blanket for Australia Reviews 2023
REDARC 112W Amorphous Solar Blanket
The REDARC 112W Amorphous Solar Blanket caters to a diverse range of outdoor enthusiasts. Campers, hikers, boaters, RV travelers, and anyone needing off-grid power can benefit from its capabilities. Its lightweight and portable design are particularly appealing to those on the move, while the rugged construction ensures durability in various outdoor environments. Whether you’re charging small gadgets or larger power-hungry devices like portable fridges, this solar blanket is designed to meet your power needs while you explore the great outdoors.
What we like
- Amorphous solar cells capture sunlight from multiple angles, ensuring efficient power generation even in suboptimal lighting conditions.
- Lightweight and foldable design for easy portability and storage.
- Built-in regulator prevents overcharging, enhancing device protection and solar blanket longevity.
- Robust construction designed to withstand outdoor use and environmental challenges.
- Compatibility with a wide range of devices, from smartphones to portable power stations, adds versatility.
- Included carry bag enhances convenience and portability.
What we don't like
- Slightly lower solar efficiency compared to crystalline solar panels, requiring more surface area for similar power output.
- Relatively higher price point compared to some competing solar blankets, which could impact budget-conscious users.
Goal Zero Nomad 100
The Goal Zero Nomad 100 Solar Blanket is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts who demand reliable and versatile power sources. Campers, hikers, overlanders, and anyone seeking off-grid power during their adventures will appreciate its efficient charging capabilities. It’s also a great fit for emergency preparedness kits, providing a sustainable energy solution in unexpected situations. The chainable feature makes it suitable for individuals requiring higher power outputs or planning extended journeys.
What we like
- High Efficiency: The Goal Zero Nomad 100 boasts impressive solar efficiency, utilizing monocrystalline solar cells that capture and convert sunlight effectively into usable energy.
- Portable Design: Its foldable and compact design ensures easy transport and storage, making it a convenient choice for those on the move.
- Intuitive Charging: Equipped with built-in USB ports and a 12V output, the solar blanket allows direct charging of various devices and power banks, eliminating the need for additional adapters.
- Durable Build: The rugged design and quality materials ensure the Nomad 100 can withstand the demands of outdoor environments, offering reliability in different weather conditions.
- Chainable Capability: The solar blanket’s chainable capability enables you to connect multiple units together for enhanced power generation, ideal for larger power needs or longer trips.
What we don't like
- Price Point: The Goal Zero Nomad 100 Solar Blanket falls within a higher price range compared to some competing models, which might be a consideration for budget-conscious users.
- Limited Angle Adjustment: While the solar blanket is designed for optimal sun capture, its angle adjustment options might be somewhat limited in certain scenarios.
The KickAss 200W Portable Solar Blanket is ideal for individuals who require substantial power capacity in their outdoor journeys. Campers, overlanders, boaters, and those engaging in extended off-grid trips will benefit from its high power output and versatility. It’s also suitable for emergency preparedness, ensuring you have a reliable energy source during unexpected situations. While its weight might impact extreme backpacking scenarios, it’s a fantastic choice for users with vehicles or base camps.
What we like
- High Power Output: The KickAss 200W Solar Blanket packs a substantial punch, delivering ample power for charging a variety of devices, from smartphones to power-hungry appliances like portable fridges.
- Efficiency: Utilizing high-quality monocrystalline solar cells, this solar blanket efficiently captures and converts sunlight into usable energy, ensuring optimal power production.
- Durable Build: Engineered with outdoor resilience in mind, the solar blanket features a robust construction that can withstand the demands of rugged environments and changing weather conditions.
- Advanced Features: Equipped with built-in USB ports, DC outputs, and compatibility with power stations, the KickAss 200W offers versatile charging options for a wide range of devices and power needs.
- Convenient Transport: Despite its high power capacity, the solar blanket’s foldable and compact design ensures hassle-free transportation and storage.
What we don't like
- Weight: Given its higher power output, the KickAss 200W Solar Blanket may be relatively heavier compared to some other portable solar options, which could impact its portability for some users.
- Price: The higher power capacity and premium features come at a cost, and the KickAss 200W Solar Blanket may be priced higher than some other solar blankets on the market.
Baintech 180W Suntrack
The Baintech 180W Suntrack Solar Blanket is tailored for outdoor adventurers who seek the pinnacle of solar technology. Campers, explorers, van lifers, and those who rely on off-grid power will appreciate its advanced tracking system and substantial power capacity. While its price point might deter budget-conscious users, its features make it a perfect match for those who prioritize top-notch performance and are willing to invest in cutting-edge solar solutions.
What we like
- Solar Tracking Technology: The standout feature of the Baintech 180W Suntrack Solar Blanket is its integrated solar tracking system, which automatically adjusts the angle of the solar cells to optimize sunlight capture throughout the day, ensuring maximum efficiency.
- High Power Generation: With a robust 180W power output, this solar blanket offers ample energy to charge a wide array of devices and appliances, making it a versatile solution for various outdoor activities.
- Advanced Connectivity: Equipped with USB and Anderson plug outputs, the Suntrack Solar Blanket accommodates various devices and power stations, catering to diverse power requirements.
- Durable Design: Crafted with durability in mind, the solar blanket features a rugged build that can withstand the rigors of outdoor use, ensuring longevity and reliability in different environments.
- Compact Portability: Despite its advanced technology and power capacity, the Suntrack Solar Blanket remains foldable and compact, facilitating easy transportation and storage.
What we don't like
- Price: The innovative tracking technology and high power output come at a cost, making the Baintech 180W Suntrack Solar Blanket a premium option that might be relatively more expensive than other solar blankets.
- Complexity: While the solar tracking system enhances efficiency, it might add an element of complexity to setup and operation for some users.
The Roman 120W Portable Solar Blanket is well-suited for outdoor enthusiasts seeking a straightforward and effective solution for on-the-go power generation. Weekend campers, hikers, and nature lovers who rely on smaller devices will find its power capacity to be more than sufficient. It’s also a solid choice for individuals looking to dip their toes into the world of portable solar power without the complexity of more advanced models.
What we like
- Efficient Power Generation: The Roman 120W Solar Blanket efficiently converts sunlight into usable energy, offering a reliable power source for charging a range of devices, from smartphones to portable power banks.
- Portable Design: Designed with portability in mind, this solar blanket features a foldable and lightweight construction, making it easy to carry and store during your travels.
- Ease of Use: Equipped with user-friendly features like integrated USB ports and compatibility with various devices, the Roman Solar Blanket streamlines the charging process without the need for additional adapters.
- Durable Build: Crafted for outdoor resilience, the solar blanket’s sturdy design ensures it can withstand the challenges of different weather conditions and outdoor environments.
What we don't like
- Moderate Power Output: While the Roman 120W Solar Blanket offers reliable power generation, it might have a more limited power capacity compared to some higher-capacity options on the market.
- Basic Features: While it efficiently fulfills its purpose, the solar blanket might lack some advanced features that other models offer, such as built-in regulators or specialized connectors.
What to look for: Solar Blanket Buyers Guide
When venturing into the great outdoors, whether it’s camping beneath the starlit sky or embarking on an epic road trip, staying connected and powered up is a modern-day essential.
That’s where the remarkable innovation of solar blankets comes into play. These portable powerhouses harness the sun’s energy to charge your devices and provide warmth, transforming your outdoor experience into a comfortable and sustainable journey.
However, with an array of solar blankets available, each offering unique features and capabilities, making the right choice can be a daunting task. Fear not, as this comprehensive buyer’s guide is here to illuminate your path. We’ll navigate through the key factors that deserve your attention, ensuring that the solar blanket you select becomes an indispensable companion on your adventures.
From power output to portability, durability to compatibility, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s embark on this journey of discovery and equip you with the insights needed to find the solar blanket that perfectly aligns with your outdoor aspirations.
Power Output and Efficiency
When deliberating on a solar blanket, the power output and efficiency take center stage. Scrutinize the wattage and voltage ratings of the blanket, ensuring they align with your device’s energy demands. A careful match guarantees a seamless charging experience. Additionally, prioritize conversion efficiency; seek out blankets boasting high conversion efficiency ratings. These ratings translate to enhanced power generation from the sun’s rays, allowing you to make the most of every beam of light.
Size and Portability
The dimensions and weight of your chosen solar blanket play pivotal roles in your outdoor escapades. Contemplate both the folded and unfolded sizes to ensure it accommodates your storage needs. Weight matters too, as you aim for a hassle-free carry. Opt for compact designs that feature carrying cases or handy straps. Such considerations empower you to effortlessly transport your solar companion wherever your adventures lead.
Durability and Weather Resistance
The ruggedness of your solar blanket can mean the difference between a brief fling and a long-lasting relationship. Examine the quality of materials used in its construction. Robust materials ensure durability and resilience against wear and tear, offering a reliable companion on your journeys. Moreover, Mother Nature can be unpredictable. Prioritize solar blankets with water-resistant or waterproof features. These shields stand guard against inclement weather, safeguarding your investment against the elements.
Charging Options and Compatibility
The heart of a solar blanket’s allure lies in its ability to power your devices. Prioritize built-in USB ports, facilitating direct charging for an array of gadgets and devices. However, compatibility is key. Ensure that the solar blanket aligns harmoniously with the devices you intend to charge, whether it’s your trusty smartphone, camera, or laptop. Such compatibility guarantees a seamless flow of power to your essentials.
Ease of Use
Navigating through your solar blanket’s features should be a breeze. Seek out designs boasting user-friendly interfaces, including clear and intuitive control panels. These panels allow you to effortlessly monitor power generation while managing your device connections. Furthermore, the setup process shouldn’t be an enigma. Prioritize solar blankets with straightforward deployment, steering clear of the complexities of intricate installations.
A solar blanket’s versatility can elevate your outdoor experiences to new heights. Consider blankets that offer a range of applications, extending beyond the traditional. Whether you’re camping beneath the stars, hiking through pristine trails, indulging in a picturesque picnic, or preparing for unforeseen emergencies, a multi-purpose solar blanket becomes an indispensable tool in your arsenal.
Warranty and Customer Support
A reliable warranty and responsive customer support can be your safety net in case of unforeseen glitches. Scrutinize the manufacturer’s warranty coverage, paying heed to the duration and the range of defects covered. Beyond the warranty, delve into the brand’s reputation for customer support. Prompt and helpful assistance ensures that you’re never left in the dark, even if the sun sets.
Price and Value
Your budget serves as your guide in the vast landscape of solar blanket choices. Define your budget range before setting out on your exploration. As you assess various options, weigh the features against the cost. An investment should deliver commensurate value. Determine whether the features on offer are worth the price in the context of your unique needs and aspirations.
In this dynamic journey of solar blanket selection, each consideration shines a light on the path to finding the perfect match for your outdoor escapades.
By thoughtfully evaluating these factors, you’re poised to select a solar blanket that not only aligns with your adventure aspirations but also enhances your connection to the world around you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Solar Blankets
Q: What is a solar blanket?
A: A solar blanket is a portable and foldable device designed to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity. It typically features solar panels that generate power for charging various devices such as phones, cameras, laptops, and more, making it a convenient power source during outdoor activities.
Q: How do solar blankets work?
A: Solar blankets work by utilizing solar cells or panels to absorb sunlight and convert it into electrical energy. These cells contain photovoltaic materials that create a flow of electrons when exposed to sunlight. The generated electricity is then used to charge devices or stored in batteries for later use.
Q: What can I charge with a solar blanket?
A: You can charge a wide range of devices with a solar blanket, including smartphones, tablets, cameras, portable speakers, power banks, laptops, and even some camping equipment. Many solar blankets come with various connectors and ports to accommodate different devices.
Q: Are solar blankets waterproof?
A: Some solar blankets are designed to be water-resistant or waterproof, offering protection against rain and moisture. However, not all solar blankets have this feature, so it’s essential to check the product specifications to ensure it meets your waterproofing needs.
Q: How much power can a solar blanket generate?
A: The power generation capacity of a solar blanket varies depending on factors like the size of the panels, the efficiency of the solar cells, and the intensity of sunlight. Solar blankets typically range from around 50 to 200 watts or more, with higher wattage providing more power output.
Q: Can I use a solar blanket indoors?
A: While solar blankets are designed for outdoor use to capture sunlight, you can use them indoors to some extent. However, the amount of sunlight available indoors is significantly lower than outdoors, which will affect the solar blanket’s charging efficiency.
Q: How long does it take to charge devices with a solar blanket?
A: The charging time depends on factors like the device’s battery capacity, the solar blanket’s power output, and the intensity of sunlight. On average, it may take a few hours to charge smaller devices like smartphones and power banks, while larger devices could take longer.
Q: Are solar blankets suitable for camping?
A: Yes, solar blankets are an excellent option for camping. They provide a portable and eco-friendly way to keep your devices charged during outdoor adventures, allowing you to stay connected and powered up even in remote locations.
Q: Can solar blankets be used as an emergency power source?
A: Absolutely, solar blankets can serve as valuable emergency power sources during power outages or other unexpected situations. Their portability and ability to generate electricity from sunlight make them a reliable backup power solution.
Q: How do I maintain and clean a solar blanket?
A: To maintain your solar blanket, keep it clean from dirt and debris that might block sunlight from reaching the solar cells. Gently wipe the surface with a damp cloth if needed. Always follow the manufacturer’s care instructions to ensure its longevity.
Q: Are there different sizes of solar blankets available?
A: Yes, solar blankets come in various sizes, each offering different power output and portability. Larger blankets tend to generate more power but may be less compact for transport. Consider your power needs and available storage space when choosing a size.
Q: Can I connect multiple solar blankets together for more power?
A: Some solar blankets allow for daisy-chaining or parallel connection, enabling you to combine the power output of multiple blankets. However, this requires compatibility and proper setup, so check the manufacturer’s guidelines before attempting to connect multiple units.
Q: Can I use a solar blanket while it’s cloudy or overcast?
A: Solar blankets can still generate power under cloudy or overcast conditions, albeit at a reduced efficiency compared to direct sunlight. While they may not produce maximum power, they can still provide a useful charge to your devices.
Q: Are there any safety precautions when using solar blankets?
A: When using solar blankets, ensure they are set up in a safe and stable location to prevent them from falling or getting damaged. Additionally, avoid overloading the blanket with devices that exceed its power output capacity.
Q: Are there any alternatives to solar blankets for portable power?
A: Yes, there are alternatives such as portable solar panels, solar power banks, and portable generators. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages, so consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing the right portable power solution for your outdoor activities.
More Great Camping Gear and Products
Sign up for our Newsletter
Get the latest bird and wildlife hints and tips delivered to your inbox.