Our pick of the Best Camping Mattress
Top camping mattresses to get a good nights sleep!
Getting a good nights sleep whilst camping can make or break a trip so it’s worthwhile treating yourself to a quality camping mattress to ensure your days are not ruined with a sore back and sleepy head. But what camping mattress is the best?
There are many mattresses on the market today and they have come leaps and bounds since the old canvas inflatable air mattresses. Gone are the days of mattresses taking up half the space in the back of the car, or spending hours inflating air mattresses only to find they have holes in them. Camping mattress material is now much lighter and firmer which take up less space and some models are even self inflatable.
Anyway, let’s get straight into our camping mattress comparison and reviews. In our opinion, the best camping mattresses for 2019 are:
|Model||Model #||Overall Rating||Weight||Review|
|Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat | Backpacking Sleeping Pad with Pillow||440 g||Hikenture Ultralight Review||CHECK PRICE|
|KingCamp Light Single/Double Outdoor Camping Sleeping Air Mattress Mat Pad Bed with Built-in Foot Pump||1.7 kg (Single)||KingCamp Light Review||CHECK PRICE|
|Self Inflating Mattress camping Hiking airbed mat sleeping w/ pillow bag camp green||948 g||Self Inflating Review||CHECK PRICE|
|Trekology Inflatable Sleeping Pad, Camping Mats for Sleeping – Compact Lightweight Camp Mat, Ultralight Comfortable Backpacking Mattress Best as Tent Hammock Outdoor Pads||522 g||Trekology |
|Weisshorn Double Size Self Inflating Mattress – Grey||7.20 Kg||Weisshorn Double|
Best Camping Mattress reviews 2019
1. Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat | Backpacking Sleeping Pad with Pillow.
When going camping, you only need to pack lightweight items. This mattress is suitable because it is lightweight. You also don’t want cumbersome items when packing for a hike. The Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat is foldable, so it occupies minimal space in your backpack.
This mattress will make your camping spree trouble-free because it is easy to clean. You also don’t have to worry about inflating it because 10 to 15 breaths is all you need to fully inflate it. Whether you are a back, stomach, or side sleeper, this mattress will ensure a comfortable sleep. Keep yourself warm and cosy during your hike with the Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat.
If you are looking for a portable, lightweight, and comfy mattress to use when hiking, the Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat | Backpacking Sleeping Pad with Pillow mattress will not disappoint. It is durable, so you get value for your money.
- Weight: 431 grams
- Length: 25.40 centimeters
- Available in blue, green, and red
- Does not include batteries
- Temperature rating: 40 ÎçF
- Dimensions: 25.4 x 8 x 8.1 cm
- Comes with a repair kit
- Easy to set up
- Good for sleeping outdoors
- No air leaking
- Foldable and portable
- Insulating and durable
- Can withstand heavy-duty use
- High-quality offered by a reputable company
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
- Comes in a carrying pouch
- Requires manual inflation
- Not suitable for very tall people
Hikenture Ultralight Sleeping Mat | Backpacking Sleeping Pad with Pillow.
2. KingCamp Light Single/Double Outdoor Camping Sleeping Air Mattress Mat Pad Bed with Built-in Foot Pump.
When backpacking, it’s easy to forget some essential items. One of the biggest inconveniences is forgetting a pump for your inflatable mattress. The KingCamp Light mattress puts all your worries to rest. It has a built-in foot pump for easy inflation. You can also carry it around with ease because it is lightweight.
This mattress is firm and comfortable to ensure a solid sleep. Inflating it only takes less than two minutes.
If you want to share a mattress with your partner, the KingCamp Sleeping Pad with Built-in Foot Pump is a great choice. Its large size allows you to sleep comfortably throughout the night. Its durability means you don’t have to worry about the cost of frequent replacement.
Single: 3.74 pounds;
Double: 7.71 pounds
- Fully Inflated Size:
Single: 76 × 27.56 × 3.93 inches;
Double: 76 × 54.33 × 3.93 inches
- Built-In Foot Pump
- Made of 190T polyester
- Comes with a repair kit
- Suitable for hiking, backpacking, and camping
- Easy to inflate
- Environmentally friendly
- Solid and comfortable
- The pump may breakdown, causing inconveniences
- May lose some air overnight
KingCamp Light Single/Double Outdoor Camping Sleeping Air Mattress Mat Pad Bed with Built-in Foot Pump.
3. Self Inflating Mattress Camping Hiking Airbed Mat Sleeping With Pillow Bag
Do you want to feel like a pro camper? This self-inflating mattress is an excellent choice for anyone who wants stress-free camping. You can easily fold the mattress and fit it in your backpack. If you have a lot of items to pack, this mattress will not be a burden with its light weight.
The mattress is made of polyester Pongee PVC coating, which makes it more durable. If you are looking for an inflatable mattress that is easy to use, this is the product to buy. This mattress inflates in less than one minute. You can also sleep on any type of surface, including concrete. It also has clips on the edges that allow you to join more than one mattress. It is great for kids or during sleepovers.
This is a great mattress for group activities. It is lightweight, durable, and self-inflating, which makes it a great investment.
- Size: 180 x 60 x 2.5cm
- Shipping weight: 948 g
- Item weight: 27.2g
- Available in green
- Two or more pieces can join together to form a bigger space
- Innovative design allows for easy and quick self-inflation/deflation
- Inflatable pillow included
- Easy to carry
- Environment-proof and waterproof: protects from bleaches, sand, and damp grass
- Easy self-inflation/deflation
- Comes with a pillow
- More expensive than most inflatable mattresses
- Only available in green
Self Inflating Mattress with Pillow Bag
4. Trekology Inflatable Sleeping Pad, Camping Mats for Sleeping – Compact Lightweight Camp Mat
This mattress keeps you comfortable and warm regardless of the sleeping surface underneath. It stays comfy on wet, cold, or uneven camping floor. It’s made of durable and ultra-lightweight material, making it an investment that will last for years.
The Trekology Inflatable Sleeping Pad elevates you 80mm from the ground. This amount of cushioning provides sufficient insulation. It gives you enough support from your head to toe for a sound sleep. Forget those camping mattresses that make you miss your bed. Try the Trekology today.
The durability of this mattress makes it a good long-term investment. It is also easy to use and carry, so you will enjoy crashing out on it after a long day of hiking.
- Available in Teal Blue
- Inflates with 10 to 15 breaths
- Shipping weight: 522g
- Size: Large: 195cm x 60cm (77 x 22 inches); Small: 20.3cm x 10.2 cm (8 inch x 4 inch)
- Made of 75D nylon
- Decent size
- Easy to carry
- Premium quality
- Easy to inflate/deflate
- Water-resistant coating
- Made of durable material
- Can sustain extreme environments
- Only available in one colour
- No batteries included
Trekology Inflatable Sleeping Pad
5. Weisshorn Double Size Self Inflating Mattress – Grey
If you enjoy the freedom of sleeping outdoors but dislike the rocky sleeping experience, this mattress is a perfect fit. It’s so comfortable you’ll forget that you are sleeping on a portable mattress.
The Weisshorn Double Size Self Inflating Mattress self-inflates within one minute with the built-in air valve. It requires no extra effort after a tiresome day. Its high density lets you lie comfortably on any type of surface. The polyester pongee bottom means it is also slip-resistant and waterproof. As a bonus, you can connect two or more mattresses if you need more sleeping space.
Although it is a bit heavy, the Weisshorn gives you maximum comfort for a night outdoors.
- Color: Double Grey
- Weight: 7.20 kilograms
- Dimensions: 62.5 x 23.5 x 46.5 cm
- Self-inflates in 60 seconds with built-in air valve
- Joinable mattress
- Ideal for year-round hiking
- A carry bag is offered
- Easy to use, transport, and store
- Relatively heavy
- One-minute inflation time
Weisshorn Double Size Self Inflating Mattress - Grey.
A Comprehensive Guide to Choosing the Best Camping Mattresses
It’s fulfilling to get closer to nature by spending some quality time away from the house. Camping is one of those activities that will motivate, entertain, and rejuvenate your energy. It is associated with fun and adventure, so when you go for it, you can expect the best.
However, something that may seem negligible can ruin your adventure. Have you ever tried sleeping on cold, hard, bumpy dirt? This feeling can ruin your camping experience when you don’t have the right camping mattress. A low-quality mattress that exposes you to cold and floor pressure is equally irritating and uncomfortable.
So, what factors do you need to consider when buying a camping mattress? Keep reading to learn the intricacies of choosing a high-quality camping mattress.
Before you go out there to buy a camping mattress, there are several questions you should ask yourself. Where will you be camping? How is the terrain? How is the weather? How many are sleeping on it? For how long will you be camping?
Generally, you must look for:
- A thick mattress for comfort
- A mattress that is well-insulated to keep cold nights warm
- A lightweight mattress
The size of a mattress determines the quality of your sleep. Do not just buy the first cheap camping mat you find.
Always take your height and body size into consideration when shopping for a mattress. You need a mattress that is bigger than you and one that can withstand your weight. Don’t buy a mattress that will leave your feet hanging throughout the night.
It is recommended that you try out a mattress before buying it. Also, checking its specifications will help a great deal.
Ability to Park and Construct the Mattress
How will you get to the camping site? Will you carry the mattress on your back or drive to the camping site?
These essential questions matter when buying a camping mattress. If you plan to drive to the campsite, weight should not be a significant issue. You can pack a heavy mattress because you don’t have to worry about carrying it
However, if your campsite requires hiking, a light camping mattress is a lifesaver. Most trekkers camp on a thin mattress due to its portability. Those who carry mattresses on their backs need to go for a lightweight product.
The construction is also a crucial factor. For hiking, portability is something you cannot overlook. You don’t want to spend more time constructing your sleeping place after a tiresome hike.
Resistance Value (R-value)
Resistance against the ground and cold air is another critical factor. You might spend several nights on the ground and in the cold. Even a thin foam mattress will provide a protective layer between you and the ground.
At Bright Camping, we recommend buying a mattress with high-resistance to avoid contact with the harsh air. Some mattresses come with a fabric cover specially designed to keep the body warm.
Ideally, the camping season should determine the R-value of your camping mattress. For winter and fall camping, you should go for a mattress with an R-value of 5. For summer, an R-value of 3 will work. In most cases, quality is directly proportional to price. This means that you are likely to pay more for a high R-value.
Inflation and Deflation
Considering that camping activities can be tiring, you need to preserve as much energy as you can. You should not use too much effort trying to inflate or deflate your mattress. When you go shopping, consider a mattress that is easy to pump air in and out of before buying it.
You can gauge this feature by reading customer reviews. Check the specs indicated on the packing box as well. Check whether you need to inflate it manually or not. It’s more advisable to buy a mattress that comes with a built-in pump or air valve.
The advancement in technology has seen the emergence of a wide range of self-inflating mattresses. Such mattresses have cell foam and air. The internal cell foam allows the mattress to self-inflate.
The other trick is using your car’s A/C adaptor as a charging source for pumping air into the mattress. A mattress pump will save you time and energy.
Type of Camping Mattress
Now that you know what to consider when buying the best camping mattress, you need to decide which one to buy. Camping mattresses come in different materials and designs. Here are some types that you should know:
- Foam Pads: Other people refer to them as roll mats. These mattresses are suitable for trekkers who need to walk for several hours. These are light and can easily fit in your bag. All you do is unfold them, and everything is set. Worried about the price? These closed-cell foams are sturdy and cheap. It’s also worth noting that foam pads are often indestructible. Their downside is that they do not provide enough comfort and warmth. However, they are very reliable.
- Self-Inflating Mats: These mattresses may be pricier than the rest. They have a layer of open-cell foam. The coating is covered with nylon. You can inflate them with several breaths. However, they can self-inflate themselves if the valve is left open. The good thing about these mattresses is that they are more comfortable and warmer than foam pads. Their setback is that they can easily get punctured.
- Inflatable Air Mattresses: These mattresses provide the same functionality as an air bed. You need to inflate them with a pump. They are among the most comfortable, warmest, and thickest types of mattresses. Inflatable air mattresses are filled with fluff. However, they require more effort and time to inflate compared to the rest. The other setback is that they are the most expensive. They also become useless when punctured.
You need to take the time to learn about different types of mattresses and their features before buying one. Now that you have gained enough knowledge about camping mattresses, there is no doubt that you will make a well-informed decision. Check the price of the best camping mattress on Bright Camping.